Oh My Pizza Pie!
In 1897, an immigrant named Gennaro Lombardi established the very first pizzeria in the United States. Fresh off the boat from Naples, Italy, Lombardi set up shop just miles from Ellis Island to feed migrant workers on their way to their jobs in the factories of New York City.
Thus America’s most popular food was introduced. Although the pizza pie has evolved over the years, it remains to this day the humble dish of the common man, consisting of the original baked dough crust covered in seasoned tomato sauce, cheese and toppings that are limited only by the imagination.
Easy Pizza Pie Dough
• 1 1/2 cups flat beer
• 3 3/4 cups all purpose flour
• 3 tbsp. sugar
• 1 1 /2 tsp. salt
• 1 1/2 tbsp. olive oil
• 1 1/2 tsp. quick-rise active dry yeast
Mix all ingredients together in bowl and knead for 10 minutes. Form dough into balls and let rise for 45 minutes. Roll out for pizza.
Easy Pizza Pie Sauce
• 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
• 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
• 1 tablespoon ground oregano
• 1 1/2 teaspoons dried minced garlic
• 1 teaspoon ground paprika
Mix together tomato sauce and tomato paste until smooth. Stir in oregano, garlic and paprika.
Easy Pizza Pie Toppings
Although the possibilities are endless here are a few traditional topping suggestions:
• Mozzarella Cheese shredded with the Kyocera Grater
• Pepperoni sliced with the Kyocera Chef’s Knife
• Mushrooms sliced with the Kyocera Julienne Slicer
• Onions sliced with the Kyocera Julienne Slicer
• Sliced peppers with the Kyocera Julienne Slicer
• Sliced black olives Kyocera Paring Knife
Whether its movie night in or night out at a famous pizzeria like Lombardi’s in New York City, the pizza pie is the yummiest American pastime!